Monday, January 2, 2012

Reading Quest - Feed

I am trying to read through the Young Adult Fiction section at the library. I can usually get through a book a night so it is a goal within reach. I love Young Adult fiction for several reasons:
1. It's gratifying to read a whole and satisfying story in a short time.
2. Things don't get as complicated as they do in adult fiction. I don't like creepy sex scenes surprising me. It's just not my thing.
3. It's the genre I like to write.

"Feed" was a fun and interesting read. (I never read the back cover of anything because I like to be surprised.) This book's first chapter really had me guessing. I love the slang language that M.T. Anderson invents for his futuristic teens. I have been using several phrases around the house for fun.


It's basically a story of American teens in the future who have the internet transplanted in to their brains. It's called "The Feed" and it eventually becomes one with your likes and dislikes.  You can instant chat someone without speaking, watch tv at any time in your mind and shop instanty.  You don't even have to read and write anymore.  It's a crazy scary idea and the author uses it to tell a really interesting and disturbing story about the down fall of society.  Here are a few quotes by the main character Titus:

"I don't know when they first had feeds. Like maybe, fifty or a hundred years ago. Before than, they had to use their hands and their eyes. Computers were all outside the body. They carried them around outside of them, in their hands, like if you carried your lungs in a briefcase and opened it to breathe."

"The braggest thing about the feed . . . is that it knows everything you want and hope for, sometimes before you even know what those things are." 
  
This book does have some language and content I think is inappropriate for teens. fyi. I enjoyed it and finished it in one night so you should too.

No comments:

Post a Comment