Sunday, January 15, 2012

Favorite Quotes from "The AbsolutelyTrue Diary of a Part-Time Indian"

This book made me laugh from beginning to end. I will warn conservative parents and their children that Sherman Alexie might offend or shock you. I love to be shocked and I am not easily offended. Actually, I think it's really important to hear what people have to say with a open mind. I like real and raw things because sometimes life is just real and raw.

Here are some of my favorite quotes from the book. You should read it.

"The world, even the smallest parts of it, is filled with things you don't know." -Gordy
"You should approach each book---you should approach life---with the real possibility that you might get a metaphorical boner at any point." - Gordy
"I suddenly understood that if every moment of a book should be taken seriously , then every moment of life should be taken seriously as well."-Junior
" Well, in the early days of humans, the community was our only protection against predators, and against starvation. We survived because we trusted one another. Back in the day, weird people threatened the strength of the tribe. If you weren't good for making food, shelter, or babies, then you were tossed out on your own," said Gordy. "But we're not primitive like that anymore," said Junior. "Oh, yes, we are. Weird people still get banished." -Conversation between Gordy and Junior.
"And I realized that, sure, Indians were drunk and sad and displaced and crazy and mean, but, dang, we knew how to laugh. When it comes to death, we know that laughter and tears are pretty much the same thing"-Junior

1 comment: