Saturday, February 1, 2014

So You Want to Color Your Own Hair................







I'm not like other stylists. I love it when you color your own hair.Here are the reasons why:

1. I'm super busy, and it's one more thing I don't have to do.
2. It gives me something to look at and criticize/laugh at in my head.
3. I make a lot of money when I help you fix something particularly terrible.
4. It makes me feel really good to help you out.

I know. I am a terrible and wonderful person at the same time.

In all seriousness though, I really don't mind it when people color their own hair. Sometimes it's just a necessity. It's kind of like doing your own home improvement projects. Sometimes you watch a video on YouTube about tiling your own bathroom and it looks so easy you decide to try it yourself. Sometimes this works out and you pat yourself on the back for saving money. Sometimes you just have to call a professional because you accidentally knock a hole in your wall and a bunch of asbestos falls into your tub. You just have to recognize when you're in over your head. (HA!)

There really is so much more to hair color than filling up a bottle and pouring it on your head. Maybe this is why so many stylists resent box color. We journey through a very special level of purgatory called beauty school to get where we are. (How many of you college students could survive pedicures on ninety year old ladies with toenails thicker than the Wall of China for eight hours a day?) After beauty school purgatory we go straight into indentured servitude. This is called being an assistant. (You just hope to get a master who won't beat you too much.)

The point is- we know stuff. Some of us are really smart and know lots of stuff (me).

Next time I will tell you how to know if you are in over your head (HA!).

Mary



No comments:

Post a Comment